DIY pet-friendly cleaning products
Whether you own a pet or are a pet-sitter: if you adore your pets as much as we’re pretty paw-sitive you do, you probably care a lot about their health and comfort. So we can all agree that it isn’t ideal to expose your fur-kids (or yourself) to any unnecessary nasty chemicals or perfumed cleaning products!
We can't always avoid using chemicals of course, but one step to lighten this load is to make some of your own cleaning products. It’s simpler than you think! These recipes are quick, easy, actually do the job, are cheaper than store-bought and free from intense chemicals or perfumes.
The fact is, cats and dogs have super keen noses and understandably don’t love being around smelly cleaning products. And it’s not nice to think that their paw pads have to walk across those bleached tiles every day –or that they could ingest a bit of residual gunk during grooming.
If you love animals you also probably worry about the day-to-day impact of your actions on the environment. Even substituting a few of these into your normal cleaning routine will reduce the nastiness going into our waterways in the long run.
As with any product – test a patch first and keep them out of reach of pets and little people. Note that results might vary between different surfaces, levels of grime and elbow-grease.
Black Tea Window Cleaner
Get your windows sparkling…with no worries if your doggo licks them later!
- Boiling water – 1 litre
- Black tea bags – 4 or 5
- Spray bottle
- Tea Towel or crumpled black and white newspaper
- Pour boiling water over the tea and allow it to brew for a few minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool and pour into a spray bottle.
- Spray onto mirrors and glass and buff dry with a tea towel or crumpled newspaper
Use in the kitchen, bathroom tiles, table-tops, chairs, pet beds etc…
- Water – 2 litres
- White Vinegar – half a cup
- Baking Soda – half a cup
- A spray bottle
- Whisk white vinegar and baking soda together well.
- Stir water through mixture.
- Pour into spray bottle and use on bathroom tiles, kitchen benches, porcelain sinks etc. Spray on, leave for a few minutes then scrub or buff away.
Optional step - soak this mixture with some lemon peel or rosemary sprigs for a few hours, then remove and pour into bottle.
Blitz your house with this handy, odourless germ killer.
- Vodka (a cheap brand is fine!).
- Use this as you would any alcoholic disinfectant – add one part vodka to four parts water before mopping floors, wiping outdoor windows, wiping down cat-litter trays or scrubbing plastic pet baskets. Slosh half a cup in your toilet bowl before scrubbing, or use in dirty sinks.
Absorb any nasty odours in your carpets – even better than masking smells with chemicals!
- Baking soda
- Sprinkle baking soda generously over your carpets. Leave for a few hours then vacuum.
A great one for pet owners….freshen up the house after you’ve had pets come to stay!
- Distilled white vinegar
- Simply pour vinegar into bottle and get spraying! It will smell vinegar-y at first but will quickly evaporate, taking the stink with it.
Scrub away bathroom scum and leave surfaces shiny
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 1 ½ cups biodegradable liquid soap
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Bottle or jar for storage
- Whisk liquid soap and baking soda together.
- Gradually whisk in water and vinegar until mixture is smooth.
- Store in bottle or jar with a tight lid.
- Mix before usage – scrub tiles and grout with mixture then rinse with water.
Whites will be whiter and colours will pop with this simple wash enhancer.
- ½ cup baking soda
- Just add baking soda to your regular wash at the same time as the detergent.
Do you have any tips or tricks for DIY pet-friendly cleaning? Let us know in the comments!